Top Menu

Friday, September 16, 2011

Knitting for Happiness

I recently read a blog by the famous and humble Lisa Graas - http://blog.lisagraas.com/2011/09/14/is-there-some-kind-of-purpose-in-bipolar-disorder/ - where the question is:  Is there some kind of purpose in Bipolar Disorder?  I have been thinking of this question ever since I read it.  Is there a purpose in all my depression?  Of course, but what is it?  Does it change daily?  It seems so.

The "keeping the routine" routine is helpful in guiding one toward the "purpose" but is it enough?  I remember hearing the good Father Benedict Groeschel speak about a sure help for people suffering from depression...or just suffering.  He said that if one can, one should do something for others...just get out there and do SOMETHING.  It seemed so obvious, and I knew the personal rewards in giving.  They are, indeed,  incomparable to most other "rewards on the earth".  It was then that I began knitting for the poor.

Lisa said that the cross that we bear - in any disorder suffered - helps us become more the person God has created us to be.  I was thankful for and comforted by her words and began thinking of my "knitting therapy".  I remember years ago sitting in my car knitting a blanket, radio cranked up loud playing Led Zeppelin's Houses of the Holy so the boys could hear, and watching Number Three Son skate the ramps.  He told his skating buddies that his mom was in the car knitting. He had to bring them over to prove this and I had a great feeling of pride.  Ah, the joy and happiness when your teenager thinks you are worth something...anything.  At that time I was knitting for family, friends and new babies.  I still do, but my focus is on knitting all year for the homeless at Christmas/winter-time.  And what a blessing, joy and source of happiness it is.  Now Number Three Son passes by and with a derisive but teasing tone (as if he is calling me Hitler) says:  Yer just a knitter.  I am proud, still.

Everyone is right, when they speak of "getting out of yourself".  It isn't easy, but it is true that it helps and will most likely provide great joy to the soul.  I am just a little, middle-aged, hidden-knitter, in awe of the others out in the world giving of themselves in BIG WAYS.  But I am proof that anyone can do this wherever they are.  Even silent prayers of the heart when one cannot even move one's fingers will provide a joy which is beyond words.   There IS some reason... My hope is that "we" who suffer will  encourage one another to do these good things which do provide happiness to the sorrowful soul and which give of ourselves to others.  

Depressed to knit? Among other reasons.

1 comment:

  1. I, too, strongly believe there is purpose in suffering if we allow it to teach us and are able to reach outside ourselves. What a wonderful thing it is you do. It's no small thing to those who are able to keep warm.

    ReplyDelete