Top Menu

Friday, August 12, 2011

Modesty and Respect

I'm sure I will write more on this subject in the future as it has been a favorite subject of mine for around 30 years.  I wrote an article for Life Advocate magazine partially on the subject in 1991.  The timely good news about Archbishop Jose Martin-Rabago of Leon, Mexico, recently asking Catholics and all Christians to have respect for (a church) and dress appropriately, has filled me with, well, glee.   He specified as inappropriate attire mini skirts, sleeveless shirts and low-cut blouses for women and shorts and sandals for men.  He said it was about "respecting God's house" and not about "a misogynist attitude of any sort...simply asking for the dignity and decorum that this place calls for, that is all."  The Vatican already endorses a strict dress code.

This is fine news indeed on a coolish summer day on the Chesapeake Bay.  I ponder what I have seen in my own parishes throughout my 16 years as a Catholic.   Some women have shocked me.  Some men have embarrassed me.  One day in our little 24/7 Adoration Chapel, I was distracted watching a man be distracted watching a young woman's below-the-neck area...which was very much revealed,  sun-dress and all...
I think about all the diverse kinds of people in all the parishes in the world and all the different ways they dress.  I remember another reason why I love the Catholic Church.  All the different and diverse people; their dress, their customs, their songs.  I love it all.

I am also remembering one of our Catholic heroines, Colleen Hammond.  How pleased she must be today to hear of Archbishop Martin-Rabago's call to modesty, respect and Christian purity.  It is a good thing, indeed, to visit her website at www.colleenhammond.com, and find out more about her book, "Dressing With Dignity".  Cheers, Colleen!

And Hail Mary's for you both!






1 comment:

  1. Thank you my dear friend!!! Yes, it was heartwarming to hear about the Archbishop's statements, and I'm encouraged by many of the modesty signs we see cropping up all over the world---starting with the Vatican! http://www.colleenhammond.com/catholics/vatican-city-bans-scantily-clad-tourists/

    ReplyDelete