Top Menu

Monday, August 8, 2011

In the Pots and the Black Dog





The blog Sustain UK LTD recently posted an article entitled, "Celebrities Back 'Black Dog' Campaign to Defeat Depression."  In it we are reminded that from Horace to Churchill, "black dog" was a metaphor used to describe the condition of being depressed.  Here we are encouraged to use such phrases as:  I'm having a black dog day, the black dog is on my shoulder...I've got the black dog.  This is to substitute for saying we are depressed. (read here: http://blog.sustainukltd.co.uk/#post24)

I used to call my elderly neighbor to ask what she was up to.  She often would tell me she was "in the pots."  This meant she was cooking and not too happy about it.  This came, I believe, from the old saying that one was "in the pits".  This meant one was down, unhappy....depressed, maybe.  So, we would compare what was on the menu that day and, somehow then,  neither of us was still "in the pits" although still "in the pots." Did the change in language help us open up or forget the doldrums?  Did the stigma of being depressed become lessened because we could speak of our mood without shame?  Does language help?  Or was daily contact needed regardless of what was said?

My own personal experience has been that family members and friends may listen when you tell them you are suffering depression and nod sympathetically, but there is a blank look with the listening ears.  I have yet met anyone who wants to know what it really means, what it is like, what I am doing to cope.  This response seems to be everywhere.  Mental illness is the unknown, unwanted intruder in families and society.  Will our hearers be more interested or understanding if they understood what a "black dog day" meant? Would they be more comfortable with us if our language changed to describe our condition?  Would we? Would you?

I'm thinking I may adopt the phrase. I like it somewhat and it may break the ice, bring some humor, or open up a discussion.  It can't hurt.  Meanwhile, I've got a black dog on my shoulder and he needs some attention.














1 comment:

  1. "I have yet met anyone who wants to know what it really means, what it is like, what I am doing to cope." Oh how I am too familiar with the feeling. I've so often wished I could pull someone, anyone, into a panic attack with me so they would know, for words cannot explain no matter how I try.

    ReplyDelete