Top Menu

Monday, August 15, 2011

The Mental Perp Walk

I wish today was a day when I could fondly remember the old mental perp walk I used to do in my mind daily. Sometimes hourly.  I wish it was a thing of long ago, like vodka for breakfast.  It's pleasant to recall something very bad from the past when you have gotten a point for banishing it from your life.  But, alas, today is still a very present bad day where the merry-go-round will just not take a stop in my poor brain.

The "perp walk," describes a common custom in our neck of the world, where an arrested suspect is paraded around town so the press can take pictures and videotape the event.  Why?  Yes, why?  Why do I keep having my own mental perp walks?  I hear they are a symptom of depression.  They make "us" even more depressed.  We don't choose to take them, they just invade us and take us along. 

It is at this point that I consider sharing an example of my own inner merry-go-round mental perp walk, but I am absolutely hesitant. Of course I am!  This is exactly the place I cannot let you see.  (This is where the paranoia comes in.)  You will analyze me, judge me, label me and perhaps even have those guys in the white jackets come and take me away (ho ho ha ha he he).   So I will stay inside my depressed, dark place without you (believe me, you don't want to see), and wonder -when I have a minute- if the stigma would be less if Tipper Gore had been our First Lady.....









No comments:

Post a Comment